Many people hear “modern design style” and think cold, stark, and rigid. In truth, this design style is brimming with possibilities. There are many opportunities to use different colors, shapes, materials, and fabrics. If you’re planning on updating a room in your home, it’s important to consider how, when, and why you use the space, too. Check out the following modern living room decor ideas to get you started.
Modern Design Style Room Colors
1. Use a Monochromatic color scheme. One of the simplest ways to give your room a modern feel is to use a single color. Crisp ivory or exquisite ebony is a great place to start a room color palette. If you like more color try shades of cool blue or fiery orange. From there, find modern furniture in tints and tones of the same color. Mix up patterns and textures while maintaining the motif for a well designed look.
2. Bold is Better Although black and white decor are a modern design room staple, this style can also feature a vivid and varied palette. Keep the drama contained to some pillows, or proudly display a bright red sofa. To mimic the striking contrast as black and white, try other high-impact pairings like orange and blue.
3. Mixing Materials While classic rooms typically stick to one type of wood or metal, modern style room design offers more freedom. Warm things up and create some visual interest by combining contrasting finishes, such as a cool ash floor and a deep walnut entertainment center. Mix shiny, burnished brass with blackened, matte steel accents or bring together silver and gold for a hint of glam.
Modern Design Style Furniture
4. Comfy but Classy Structural backs and straight arms are defining features of modern furniture, but there is still plenty of room for comfort, too. A linen upholstered sofa with clean lines and soft cushions offers the best of both worlds. Stylish armchairs covered in supple leather are another easy way to incorporate cozy sophistication.
5. Make a Statement Create a focal point by adding a bold, unexpected element to your modern living room. Complement contemporary furniture by mounting a large sculpture or wall art over the sofa. Asymmetrical placement of a bold, geometric coffee table or bookshelf can also produce an eye-catching look that’s undeniably modern.
6. Mix and Match Think outside the box by combining natural and unique items.. An eclectic, textured mixture of stone, cotton, glass, and steel keeps your eye moving around the room. Highlight the convergence of different materials by positioning mirror-finished end tables alongside a maple television console.
Modern Design Style Accessories
7. Keep it Simple During this time of having low-key gathering of friends, people always seem to congregate in the kitchen or living room. A big sectional sofa provides plenty of space to sit and chat. Position a few end tables within arm’s reach for guests to place their drinks. Glass tops and metal frames maintain a streamlined, modern look to the room and they’re easy to clean!
8. For the Kids If you have children, you know they factor into every decision, especially home decor. Take the stress out of the inevitable spills and messes with easy-to-clean leather upholstery. Spread out a patterned or plush performance area rug so the kids have a safe place to play. To keep things tidy, use a hidden storage ottoman as a place to stash toys at the end of the day.
9. No Place Like Home If you would rather stay in than go out on the town, a comfy modern living room is perfect. Bring the movie theater home while maintaining the sleek style of your space with a floating TV console. Mount the television over a fireplace for a laid back focal point, and toss some colorful throw pillows onto the contemporary reclining sofa to lounge in luxury.
Pulling it All Together
The list of Modern Style room design ideas is endless since it’s all about finding what works for you. Begin by applying the basic principles of modern design: clean, not fussy, and open. Then, let the creativity flow. Pick from the vast pool of colors and styles to develop your modern living room.
From Classic to Contemporary and Everything in Between!
CH Interior Design – Brenda Weber, Interior Designer – proudly serves South Dayton, Centerville, OH, Springboro, OH, Mason, OH, Waynesville, OH, West Chester, OH, Kettering, OH, Lebanon, OH, Maineville, OH, and Beavercreek, OH