What’s the difference?
Almost everyone loves the look and feel of a cozy farmhouse style. Back in the day the early settlers utilized elements from their surroundings which satisfied their need for sturdy, practical furnishings. Farmhouse style has stood the test of time and evolved into a more modern but still very functional look.
Here are some defining differences between Classic Farmhouse and Modern Farmhouse style.
Characteristics of Classic Farmhouse Style
- Natural wood accents: The very first element is wood! It was abundant and therefore, became the natural building material. Many farm homes had paneled wood walls, wide-plank floors and exposed wood beams. The current classic farmhouse style often uses barn board or ship lap for paneling and wood for countertops.
- Kitchen Apron sinks: The kitchen was the gathering place and still is today. Most kitchens had an apron sink. In a classic farmhouse, this sink is usually porcelain.
- Furniture and accessories: Vintage furnishings are an easy way to decorate in classic farmhouse style. It’s best if they’re not in perfect condition and they could even have weathered finishes. Vintage style lighting looks ideal in a classic farmhouse especially the ones with a little bling!
- Fabrics Selections: Floral and paisley, ticking and plaid echo Classic Farmhouse for sure. Use them on window treatments, pillows or slipcovers.
Characteristics of Modern Farmhouse Style
- Modern Touches: Take the comfortable, relaxed farmhouse style and add a cleaner look.
- Accents and Accessories: To achieve this look add smooth lines, glossy accents and neutral color schemes.
- Use Contemporary Design: Modern farmhouse is more sophisticated and uses contemporary design elements like stainless steel appliances, granite countertops and sleek lighting and cleaner lines in furniture.
- Practicality: When designing a Modern Farmhouse design, keep in mind, furnishing and accessories should be comfortable and practical. In addition, you want them to welcome you into the room, and things shouldn’t be too fussy. The room should look like it evolved over time.
- Stay with a neutral palette: Choose a neutral palette to make the room appear fresh and open. Cool or warm neutrals such as cream, beige, silver and grey all work well and balance natural elements. Equally important, is to keep patterns simple and contemporary and be sure to bring depth to the space with a variety of textures. Rugs, baskets and natural objects work well here.
- Industrial touches: With modern farmhouse style you can also add touches of the industrial style for an updated current look. For example, use a stainless-steel apron sink and appliances. The same goes for lighting, add a chandelier and pendants that have a sleek and more modern look.
Whether you prefer the Classic or Modern version of the farmhouse style, they both offer a cozy, comfortable and welcoming feel to a home! If you need help pulling it all together to achieve your Farmhouse look, give me a call!
From Classic to Contemporary and Everything in Between
10 N. Main St. Suite D
Waynesville, OH 45068
Like us on