If interior design is not your thing (or maybe you love it but you’re doubting your ability), you may struggle with accessorizing your room. What do you put on the coffee table, your sideboard or buffet? And the bookshelves, they’re for books, right? Wrong! Mix up books and your favorite things.
Adding accessories to a room is your chance to spice it up with your personality…. a chance to tell your story and fill your home with what you love! Check out our go-to accessories and tips for an easy transition.
Check out our list of go-to accessories that will enhance any room.
- Floral Arrangements – From casual to contemporary, fresh or silk flowers will bring vibrancy, and life into any room. Pick coordinating colors, or bring an accent color into your room through your arrangement for added interest. Look for unusual containers that can also enhance the theme of the room.
While fresh flowers offer many benefits, they may not always be a feasible option for some. Faux flowers have gotten a bad rap over the years. Forget the fake ferns from the 50’s! Silk arrangements can look just as beautiful as the real thing.
- Accent Rugs – Area rugs have a lot of responsibilities. They define spaces, add warmth and comfort underfoot, reign in the elements from a room and tie them all together, and add pops of color and style to any room in your home. Take colors from the rug and add coordinating throw pillows and a throw to your sofa. Area rugs can make or break a room. Choosing the right area rug is the key to success.
- Wall Art – It’s in the eye of the beholder. Start with a large-scale piece over a sofa, bed, or fireplace. Choices could range from an over-sized clock, a starburst mirror, a metal decorative medallion, to the more traditional framed art or canvas. You can also group together smaller pieces of art to create a focal point.
- Ceramic and Pottery Pieces – A beautiful bowl, vase, or charger can stand alone or be paired with other items to add a focal point. Add decorative spheres to a ceramic bowl to incorporate color and texture. Use a ceramic vase to hold those fresh or faux flowers (Make sure your vase is made for water!) Chargers are perfect for displaying an array of candles. Or, using plate hangers, chargers can quickly transition into wall art. Choices can range from modern to globally inspired rustic looks.
5. Blankets – Get cozy and add a touch of softness to your room with blankets and throws. Drape over a sofa, chair, or ottoman to easily add color and texture. Layer with pillows for more depth or stack several blankets in a basket beside a sofa or under a table. Let’s face it, on a cold rainy day, who doesn’t want a blanket close at hand.
6. Candlesticks -Display candlesticks on a sideboard, or entry table. Choose similar ones in varying heights, or use a grouping of different candlesticks for a more eclectic vibe. Oversized candlesticks are a stunning addition to a fireplace hearth. Add colorful candles for a pop of color.
- Branches – If you love nature, bring the outdoors in with branches! These low maintenance accessories come in all shapes, sizes and colors. And, there are a variety of ways to display them. Arrange branches in containers, hang them directly on walls or display them on a pile of books on your coffee table. Add a small upward light on the floor to shine through the branches at night for a dramatic effect. It will be stunning!
- Family photos/Collections – Displaying family photos or your favorite collections show guests who you are, where you’ve been and what you love. Rather than randomly scattering them throughout your room, group clusters on a table or shelf for a more organized and clean look.
You’ve got the bling, now think about these three tips to dress your room right.
- It’s all in the numbers. Use odd numbers when grouping items. When all else fails, think three! Grouping three items together will keep your space clean and balanced.
- Think about the horizon. Placing items at varying heights will create a horizon that takes your eye from one item to the next. Pull those books off the shelves, and use them to add interest and height. Stack one, two or three books to give your accessories a lift.
- It’s time to clean! Cleaning and maintenance are often overlooked when accessorizing a home. Think about what it will take to maintain the beauty of your accessories.
Get more ideas and inspiration here. You’ve got this—now, start accessorizing!
Got questions? Email me!
From Classic to Contemporary and Everything in Between,
CH Interior Designs-Brenda Weber
Located in Cobblestone Village Gift and Home Décor Shop